Carlson, who has expressed skepticism towards US military aid for Ukraine, recently announced from Moscow his plans to interview Russian President Vladimir Putin. Carlson, in a post from Moscow on X, formerly Twitter, gave no further details on when the interview would take place.
“Most Americans have no idea why Putin invaded Ukraine or what his goals are now,” he said. “We are not here because we love Vladimir Putin….We are not encouraging you to agree with what Putin may say in this interview, but we are urging you to watch it. You should know as much as you can.”
Carlson’s move aligns with his history of controversial stances, especially as it coincides with Republican efforts to block a $60 billion military aid package for Ukraine.
Carlson’s potential interview with Putin is seen as a provocative act, further entrenching his oppositional stance against the US political mainstream. He has criticized the US media’s coverage of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and American aid to Ukraine, labeling it as propaganda.
Throughout his career, Carlson has leveraged fear and outrage, contributing to his financial success and influence, despite contributing to a divisive and paranoid political climate. During his Fox News days, he had close ties with former US President Donald Trump. His departure from Fox News followed a significant defamation settlement related to the 2020 presidential election, revealing a discrepancy between his public persona and private communications.
Carlson’s rhetoric often pits “them” against “you,” promoting a narrative of elite conspiracy against ordinary Americans. He has also propagated the far-right “replacement” theory. Despite controversies, Fox News staunchly supported Carlson, who has maintained a personal philosophy of valuing only the opinions of those who care about him, a viewpoint shaped by his challenging childhood.
Here is all you need to know about him:
- Tucker Carlson started his career in journalism with publications like the magazine Policy Review and newspapers such as the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. His early work laid the foundation for his future in political commentary.
- Carlson’s television career includes hosting shows on CNN, MSNBC, and Fox News. His most notable tenure has been with Fox News, where he hosted “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” a prime-time show known for its conservative perspective.
- Known for his conservative stance, Carlson’s commentary often focuses on critiquing liberal policies and political figures, discussing immigration, and expressing skepticism about US foreign policy interventions.
- Throughout his career, Carlson has made headlines for controversial remarks on various topics, including race, immigration, and women. These comments have sparked debates and, at times, led to advertiser boycotts.
- Carlson is also a bestselling author, with books such as “Ship of Fools: How a Selfish Ruling Class Is Bringing America to the Brink of Revolution,” which critiques America’s political and elite classes.
- In 2010, Carlson co-founded The Daily Caller, a conservative news and opinion website. The platform has been both criticized and praised for its investigative reporting and conservative viewpoint.
- “Tucker Carlson Tonight” has consistently been one of the highest-rated programs in cable news, reflecting his significant influence among conservative viewers.
- Carlson has voiced concerns over privacy rights, surveillance, and the importance of free speech, often critiquing big tech companies for censorship and data privacy issues.
- Beyond his role as a commentator, Carlson has been involved in political discourse, influencing public opinion on policy matters, and has been cited by political figures and policymakers.
- Carlson’s work has polarized audiences; he has been criticized for promoting conspiracy theories and misinformation, particularly regarding the Covid-19 pandemic and the 2020 US presidential election. However, he remains a significant figure among conservatives, lauded for challenging mainstream media narratives.
- These points highlight Tucker Carlson’s complex role as a media personality, where he has been both a significant influencer within conservative circles and a controversial figure in broader political and social debates.
(With inputs from agencies)