8.8 C
New York

Truce talks between Israel and Hamas to resume, Egyptian state TV reports | World News

Published:

Truce talks between Israel and Hamas will resume in Cairo on Sunday, an Egyptian state-run TV station has reported, citing security sources.

The warring sides had recently stepped up negotiations, mediated by Qatar and Egypt, on a six-week suspension of Israel’s offensive in return for the proposed release of 40 of the 130 hostages still held by Hamas in Gaza.

But Israel recalled its negotiators from Doha, Qatar, on Tuesday, with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office saying Hamas had made “delusional” demands which showed the group is not interested in a deal.

Hamas had been pushing for any deal to include an end to the fighting and the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza.

But Israel has ruled that out, saying it would eventually resume its mission to dismantle the governance and military capabilities of Hamas.

On Friday, Mr Netanyahu said he had told the country’s lead negotiators to join talks in Qatar and Egypt over the coming days.

Some Israelis, including relatives of hostages, demonstrated in Tel Aviv on Saturday to show their frustration with Mr Netanyahu’s government and urge him to resign.

Read more:
Inside the London protests seething with animosity

Palestinians gather on a beach as they collect aid airdropped by an airplane.
Pic: Reuters
Image:
Palestinians gather on a beach as they collect airdropped aid. File pic: Reuters

Israel admits its troops shot dead two Palestinians on Gaza beach

It comes after the Israeli military said its troops shot dead two Palestinians and injured a third on a beach in Gaza.

Al Jazeera broadcast a video earlier this week showing one man falling to the ground after walking in an open area and then a bulldozer pushing two bodies into the sand.

It said at least two of the men seen in the blurry videos were waving white flags before they were shot at.

The Israeli military said troops opened fire after the men allegedly ignored warning shots and the bulldozer was used out of fear the men may have had explosives on them.

Al Jazeera said both shootings took place close to each other on a beachfront southwest of Gaza City, but the Israeli military said the video was edited and depicts two separate incidents from different locations in Gaza.

The army said the two men who were killed were carrying bags, though no bags were visible in the footage. It said the injured man was later released after questioning.

Read more:
Injuries after shell explodes near UN observers

Famine ‘is setting in’ in Gaza, ICJ says
Senior Hamas military leader killed in strike, Israel says

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

London: Protesters call for ceasefire in Gaza

Ships leave Cyprus to deliver food amid famine fears

Meanwhile, on Saturday a three-ship convoy carrying 400 tonnes of food and other supplies left a port in Cyprus amid continuing concerns of a looming famine in Gaza.

World Central Kitchen said the vessels and a barge are carrying ready-to-eat items like rice, pasta, flour, legumes, canned vegetables and proteins. The charity said it is enough to prepare more than one million meals.

A ship operated by the Open Arms charity took 200 tonnes of food, water and other aid on the direct route to Gaza earlier this month.

The three-ship convoy departs from Larnaca, Cyprus, carrying humanitarian aid for Gaza. Pic: Reuters
Image:
A three-ship convoy departs from Cyprus carrying humanitarian aid for Gaza. Pic: Reuters

Nearly 33,000 Palestinians have now been killed in Gaza since the start of the conflict, according to the Hamas-run health ministry, which does not distinguish between civilians and combatants – although the majority of those killed have been women and children, the ministry says.

Some 1,200 people, mostly Israelis, were killed when Hamas rampaged into southern Israel on 7 October and kidnapped some 250 others.

Related articles

Recent articles

spot_img