19.1 C
New York

Thousands of Brits who fled Rhodes wildfires last July offered free seven-night stay this year

Published:

THOUSANDS of Brits who fled wildfires in Rhodes last July have been offered a free seven-night stay this year.

Terrified holidaymakers had to be repatriated on mercy flights.

Brits who fled wildfires in Rhodes last July have been offered a free seven-night stay

1

Brits who fled wildfires in Rhodes last July have been offered a free seven-night stayCredit: AFP

But from today they can enjoy free sunshine breaks after the Greek government agreed a £4million giveaway.

The trips are for those whose names were passed to Greek officials by hoteliers.

Week-long stays are available now until May 31 and again from October 1 to November 15.

Some people have already received an email about the deal.

Last night Helen Tonks, who spent two nights in an evacuation centre, said: “I’ve got no idea how it works but if we could go we would.”

Jess Bailey, who was also evacuated, said: “I haven’t heard the specifics of the scheme but I would love to go back to Rhodes in different circumstances.

“What I went through as a tourist was nothing compared to what the people of Rhodes endured.

“I just hope that the island its residents and wildlife have managed to recover.

“In the short time I was there I was bowled over by the kindness people of Rhodes showed us.”

Yannis Papavasiliou, president of the Union of Hoteliers in Rhodes, told The Sun: “Around 3,000 have so far responded to the offer.

We had 10 minutes to flee our Rhodes honeymoon when raging fires took hold

“But once word gets around we have been told to expect a much bigger number in October.

“Most were here with tour operators and they will be reimbursed along the lines of the package they had booked.

“If it was all-inclusive, then it will be all-inclusive now.”

One top tourism official said: “We can’t wait to have our British friends back.”

Related articles

Recent articles

spot_img