25.6 C
New York

Kiosk where Madeleine McCann suspect Christian Brueckner worked will be RIPPED DOWN to stop it becoming ghoulish shrine

Published:

OWNERS are set to tear down all traces of the kiosk where Maddie suspect Christian Brueckner worked to stop it becoming a shrine for ghouls.

The corner store in Braunschweig, Germany, was where the rapist sold sweets to children and attacked pals in fits of rage.

The kiosk Brueckner worked at is set to be torn down

5

The kiosk Brueckner worked at is set to be torn downCredit: Dan Charity
The owner wants to stop the site becoming a shrine for ghouls

5

The owner wants to stop the site becoming a shrine for ghoulsCredit: Dan Charity
Brueckner was in handcuffs as he walked into court last week

5

Brueckner was in handcuffs as he walked into court last weekCredit: Dan Charity
Brueckner is suspected of abducting Madeleine, then three, 17 years ago

5

Brueckner is suspected of abducting Madeleine, then three, 17 years agoCredit: AFP

The current owners are now set to “remove all signs” of Brueckner to stop it becoming a ghoulish mecca – as the drifter goes on trial in the city.

A source said: “The landlord here is now just sick and tired of all the negativity which Brueckner has brought to this place.

“The whole world now knows this is the place where he worked and also hung out with his mates out the back, boozing and partying throughout the night and causing trouble.

“Everyone is very aware of how destructive having this in the city is.

READ MORE ON MADELEINE MCCANN

“People are always turning up, and I’ve had people trying to smash in the door, and just weeks ago someone even tried to climb in through the window.

“Because of all this, the landlord wants to remove all the signs from the outside as these are now known all over.

“It’s a visual time-bomb but thankfully everything will soon look completely different.”

In October, 2014, a local called Norbert took over the kiosk from Brueckner.

Brueckner’s trial is set to get back underway tomorrow after it was suspended last week after just nine minutes.

Handcuffed Brueckner, 47, brazenly strode into the hearing with a blank expression on his face before the trial was adjourned after a judge’s “kill the b*****d” rant was read out in court.

Madeleine McCann prime suspect Christian Brueckner facing trial for alleged rape of Irish mum Hazel Behan

He is accused of three rapes and two sex assaults.

Charges being heard during the trial at Braunschweig Regional Court are not related to Maddie, who he is suspected of abducting 17 years ago.

But just nine minutes into today’s opening hearing, the trial had to be adjourned.

His lawyer Dr Friedrich Fülscher, funded by legal aid, immediately set about trying to discredit one of the lay-judges who was set to help decide Brueckner’s verdict.

Dr Fülscher claimed she had called for the assassination of a president on social media.

He said the woman had written “kill the b*****d now” and “kill the devil”, referring to Brazilian leader Jair Bolsonaro.

Dr Fülscher said the remark meant she was unfit to sit on the case and could not be relied upon as far as his client was concerned.

The hearing was adjourned before Judge Christina Engelmann ruled the lay judge could not preside over the case because of the posts.

A replacement judge has now been found and a hearing rescheduled for Friday.

Prosecutors allege Brueckner raped three women and twice sexually molested children in Portugal.

Key dates in Madeleine McCann’s disappearance

MADELEINE McCann vanished on May 3, 2007 – and cops believe Brueckner could have been behind her disappearace.

Almost 17 years on, no one has been charged in connection. These are the key dates:

May 3, 2007 – Kate McCann finds Madeleine missing at 10pm

May 14, 2007 – Property developer Robert Murat is named an “arguido” or formal suspect

August 31, 2007 – The McCanns launch libel action against Tal e Qual – a newspaper that claimed the couple killed Madeleine

September 7, 2007 – Kate and Gerry McCann are made “arguidos”

September 9, 2007– Madeleine’s parents return to England with their two-year-old twins

October 2, 2007– Lead detective Goncalo Amaral is taken off the case after criticising British police in a newspaper interview

July 21, 2009 – Portuguese police lift the “arguido” status of  both Robert Murat and the McCanns

May 12, 2011 – On Madeleine’s eighth birthday, Scotland Yard launches a review into the case 

April 25, 2012 – Scotland Yard officers say they believe Madeleine McCann is still alive

July 4, 2013 – Two years into a review of the case, Scotland Yard launched its own investigation into Madeleine’s disappearance

October 24, 2013– Portuguese police reopen their case after new lines of inquiry are found

November 27, 2013 – Met Police Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe called for British and Portuguese police to work together

October 28, 2015 – Scotland Yard reduces the number of officers working on Madeleine’s disappearance

March 11, 2017  – The Home Office grants Operation Grange an extra £85,000 to continue from April until September

September 28, 2017 –  British police are granted £154,000 to keep the probe going until March 2018

November 2017 – Cops moved the search to Bulgaria

May 2018 – Another round of funding, thought to be in the region of £150,000 is granted

September 2018 – An extra six months of funding is requested from the Home Office

November 2018 – More funding, thought to be in the region of £150,000 is granted

November 2018 – UK police re-examine a theory Madeleine left the apartment to look for her parents

June 2019 – Another round of funding, believed to be £300,000 of government cash is granted

June 2019 – Portuguese police are probing a “new clue and suspect” after talks with British officers

June 2020 – New prime suspect revealed as a German paedo Christian Brueckner

April 2022 – Brueckner formally made an “arguido”

May 2023 – Police search remote Algarve reservoir Brueckner called his “little paradise”

His alleged victims include Irish mum Hazel Behan, who says he raped her when she was 20 and working as a ­holiday rep in Portugal in 2004.

He is also charged with raping and abusing a teenage girl and a 70 to 80-year-old woman at his house in Praia da Luz between December 2000 and June 2006.

Further sickening allegations the court heard were that he masturbated in front of a girl at a playground in Messines in June 2017.

He also faces claims he did the same in front of another girl, on Salema beach, Portugal, in April 2007.

German drifter Brueckner is already in jail serving a seven-year sentence for rape.

A fresh conviction will keep him behind bars — as fears grow he may never be charged over Madeleine’s disappearance.

Brueckner was identified four years ago as the main suspect in the abduction of Madeleine from her family’s holiday flat in Portugal in 2007.

German investigators believe Brueckner abducted and murdered her – although no charges have been filed against him.

He wore a purple shirt and blue linen blazer

5

He wore a purple shirt and blue linen blazerCredit: Dan Charity

Related articles

Recent articles

spot_img