11.9 C
New York

At least 16 children rushed to hospital after suffering suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at ice rink in Adelaide

Published:

AT least 16 kids have been rushed to hospital following a suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

The frightening ordeal happened at an ice rink on James Congdon Drive, Thebarton, Adelaide, Australia.

At least 16 children have been rushed to hospital after suffering suspected carbon monoxide poisoning following an

1

At least 16 children have been rushed to hospital after suffering suspected carbon monoxide poisoning following anCredit: 9News

Firefighters tested the area for harmful gasses and found high levels of carbon monoxide in the air. 

Two girls were initially admitted to hospital showing symptoms of poisoning, prompting the hospital to send the Metropolitan Fire Service to the ice rink, according to 9 News.

The fire service confirmed 16 children were admitted to hospital last night with high levels of carbon monoxide poisoning, calling their conditions “significant but not life-threatening”.

A spokesperson from the Metropolitan Fire Service said investigators believed a dehumidifier and an ice resurfacer were responsible for the poisonings, and were currently investigating.

“They’ve determined two pieces of machinery that could potentially have caused the hazardous situation,” the spokesperson said.

“They have isolated the machinery and are testing to see if that’s the cause.”

It is unknown how many people have been affected and authorities are investigating.

Firefighters are reportedly still on scene and ventilating the area.

Dubbed “the silent killer” Carbon monoxide is a poisonous odourless, colourless gas.

It is extremely dangerous and if inhaled it can cause serious illness or death.

10 people including four children rushed to hospital after being ‘poisoned’ in their home by ‘very dangerous’ leak

According to nidirect “Incorrectly installed, poorly maintained or poorly ventilated household appliances – such as cookers, heaters and central heating boilers – are the most common causes of accidental exposure to carbon monoxide.”

It comes as last year dozens suffered suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at indoor go-karting track in Lincoln.

Police said at least 33 people fell ill after attending Proport Indoor Karting in August 2023.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning

According to the NHS symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can include:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Feeling sick or being sick
  • Feeling weak
  • Confusion
  • Chest and muscle pain
  • Shortness of breath

If you think you might have carbon monoxide poisoning stop using appliances you think might be making carbon monoxide (such as a boiler, cooker or heater).

Open any windows and doors to let fresh air in and go outside if you can.

Get medical advice as soon as possible – do not go back into the affected building until you have got advice.

Related articles

Recent articles

spot_img